Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smitten Quilt Along : Month One Blocks

Have you conquered the Y-seam yet? :)

I don't know about those of you who have been sewing along, but I thoroughly enjoyed making the Large Hexagon One blocks last month!  The opportunity to fussy cut in these was so fun that I got carried away and made an extra block!


One of my goals was to mix and match from my stash and all of my favorite designers and make every block one that I love. I was pretty pleased that I was able to get Tula Pink, Bonnie & Camille, Kate Spain, and Katy Jones to all play together so nicely in this one bold block with the orange outer border.


I incorporated a few favorite sewing-related text prints as well.  The top block is all my favorites ... dots, green, hot pink zebra, aqua, and low volume all mixed together.  Definitely one of my favorite color combos for sure!


Another sewing themed print and more dots along with fussy cut Tula Pink Vintage Stars.

The black and white dot print is an old favorite from Sweetwater and I'm glad I worked it in!  I cut the Daysail stripe prints (red and also teal) the same and love how the effects are different depending on how you use them in the block. 


I couldn't resist making these Cotton + Steel cats march around the exterior of the block.  No block is complete without some polka dots and I am glad I added the pop of black in there.  That green stripe is from Chicopee and it was the perfect width for these templates.


Here they all are together!  I am loving this project so far and can't wait to see how it evolves over the next few months.  See you all on the 6th with tips for machine piecing the next block!

Happy Sewing! :-)

4 comments:

  1. Lovely blocks!! I've been enjoying sewing along so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love your blocks and love sewing along with you. This is my first attempt at the Y seams and the templates are a dream!! Thank you, Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)