Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sewvivor - Sew Lux

Have you seen the buzz about the Sewvivor competition hosted by Rachel at Family Ever After?  I've been back and forth about entering and finally decided to go for it!  And regardless of whether I make it into the competition, I will definitely be following (and sewing) along!

So, what's "Sewvivor?"  Well, its kind of like the reality show, only the challenges aren't standing on a pole over a mud hole for whoever can last the longest ... its all quilting related!  Truth be told, I used to watch the show religiously in college and even helped my roommate make her contestant entry video!

This year, its all about the quilting and there are four different challenges with some twists and turns here and there and it sounds like so much fun.  I've even been sketching up some ideas for what I might make to stay alive!

But first, here's my entry ...

I had two different options for what I feel like are my favorite quilting projects.  But in the end, my first Amy Butler Weekender Bag won out.

The pattern sat in my sewing room for several years ... all that interfacing and the horror stories were a little scary!  But seeing some friends make them at retreats, I figured "hey, I can do this."  I knew that I wanted to quilt the panels, but QAYG seemed like it would take forever and I really wanted to piece them.  And then Camille started introducing the mini quilt patterns.


If you know me, you know I love pink, aqua and a good black & white low volume (especially dots), so the fabric choices were easy.  I pieced a mini Swoon and then a mini Spool ...


And then a little economy block (since that was also all the rage on IG at the time)...


And did a little subway tile pattern for the back pocket.

All the panels and pockets were quilted and I have to admit that I carried this around the house from room to room after finishing it just so I could keep looking at it!

Making a bag like this was challenging and I learned a lot.  The piping, the zipper, the importance of the jeans needle.  Lots of new techniques to practice in this one.  And I loved it ... except for sewing on that second side!  I've even made a second one since!

Fortunately, I was able to take some glamour shots in Hawaii a few weeks after finishing.  (Tough, right?!)

So there you have it ... my entry for Sewvivor!

Thanks for stopping by and good luck to everyone!

Happy Sewing!  :-)


9 comments:

  1. i love those patterns & colors combined.
    great choice for an entry!
    best of luck to you in the auditions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bag looks great,love those pockets and colours.I have entered competition as well. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! Great patchwork and the piped edge gives it a pro-finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a FANTASTIC entry! I love this bag. I have the pattern but have yet to be brave like you and jump in. When I do finally take the plunge, I'm glad to know that you're local and I can ask questions! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to know the name of the pattern used for this bag....it is darling

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mini swoon is to DIE FOR! So incredibly gorgeous! Best, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this bag - I can understand why you didn't want to put it down ! good luck in the auditions :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pieced spool! Gorgeous bag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolute beautiful entry piece! Good luck with the auditions, but honestly you don't need it, your entry is just the bees knees!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - we love hearing from you! :-)